Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.
- Praxis and PoetryI've always been interested in the idea of "praxis" - process and the reflection on process in relation to art. It seems to me that this is the one area that is often missing in creative writing education, which seems strange as understanding the philosophical underpinnings of art is, to me at least, a necessary component of the art - and one […]
- Subcultural CapitalWe're all aware of the idea of "cultural capital" - where their is value placed on the cultural activities of a place or person. But what about "subcultural capital"? In other words, does the same equation exist for underground or subversive or even anti- art practice? Where the work and the practitioners are deliberately or accident […]
- Ripples on a smooth sea, or storm in a teacup?The news that my publisher, Salt, was stopping publishing single collections following a drop-off in sales was alarming. Not only was Salt best known for its poetry, but having gone through a few choppy waters, had appointed a renowned poetry editor, Roddy Lumsden, had had a successful series of anthologies, and was finally seeing commerical success through […]
- Swimming Home by Deborah LevyIn Deborah Levy's Booker shortlisted "Swimming Home" nothing is quite as it seems on the surface. The poet Joe Jacobs ("JHJ") is in a villa near Nice with his wife and daughter and a couple of their friends. The sleepy village is one of bored intrigue, where a number of people have ended up drifting - the villas and cottages owned by […]
- Writing With and Without FearI used to write without fear. I didn't know what I didn't know. Like a child playing in front of the open grate, mesmerised by the flames and warmth but unprotected by a fire guard, I would write until I was roasted on one side, with nobody to pull me away. Partly this was because I didn't know any different; I'd always written - since be […]
What are you looking for?
american american pastoral black swan green bloodaxe c.d.wright carcanet chris mccabe cloud atlas cold water collection copper canyon david mitchell didsbury didsbury arts festival experimental extracts from levona fiction ghostwritten gwendoline riley identity parade ifpthenq jacob de zoet james davies joshua spassky JT Welsch knivers forks and spoons london magnus mills manchester matthew welton non-fiction novelist one big self Orchids philip roth playing solitaire for money poetry politics salt Salt Modern Voices salt publishing sick notes st. anns square the other room thousand autumns
- 8,481 hits
- Amazing how many things I wrote as recently as 2011 which I'd totally forgotten about until rescuing them from the hard disk. 9 hours ago
- RT @melvillehouse: Do you have an talent for getting people to talk about dead and/or Hungarian authors? We're looking for a publicist! htt… 11 hours ago
- Inevitably now listening to Madman Across the Water specifically for "Tiny Dancer." 11 hours ago
- Sitting back to watch Almost Famous movie. 13 hours ago
- Years of trying and still haven't broke the £5 barrier at the Withington Copson St veg shop 13 hours ago